Wednesday, April 6, 2011

You're not that bad, Dr. D-Bag

This pregnancy I had really wanted to use a midwife. I had selected one (of the two practices in our area), and we even had an appointment with her. But, our insurance wouldn't cover a birth outside a hospital. We just couldn't justify paying entirely out of pocket for the birth versus nothing for a hospital birth. I like the family practice doctor who delivered the older girls, but she wasn't delivering anymore. She has been my doctor since I was a kid. A nurse at the hospital even lamented they missed having her deliver. The nurse said, "everyone likes her. She's kinda midwifey." I know! That's why I liked her! So, I ended up going with another family practice doctor in her practice since he said he likes to interfere as little as possible and just catch babies. And in the end, that's just what he did. But, I think I held it against him the entire time that he wasn't at all midwifey. I didn't like his shiny ties. I laughed when my husband would inquire about his curly locks and how well coiffed they were when I came back from appointments. I complained about his penchants for shaking my hand at the beginning AND the end of my appointments. I was mortified when he told me what "most women want". I even nicknamed him Dr. Douchebag because he seemed so stereotypical young doctor. I bet he golfs. I think I was a little hard on the old (frat) boy... By those weekly appointments he remembered I was his patient who had no interest in being induced. He did operate with that trust in your body midwifey mantra. He didn't have some number of contractions per number of time rule for me, he said, "you've done this before, when you know it's real, go then." When Piper threw us the curve ball of pooping up the amniotic sac, he knew that would mix up the delayed cord cutting and immediately handing her to me. He prepped me for it & made his case for letting the peds guy check her out, and he still gave her to me for a minute before Bob went with her to be examined by the pediatrician. He didn't do anything he said he wouldn't. He didn't interfere, he just caught a baby. And, he really did haul it to the hospital. He complained I made an old guy run. I think he & I are the same age. He even helped me carry stuff when I bumped into him in the waiting room to see my family doctor. He is a nice guy! I guess, I really shouldn't call him a D-bag. Upon realizing this, I told my husband our insurance guy is probably more of a douchebag than the doctor. Bob said, "yeah, who cares? I just need him to sell me insurance!" He is right. I daresay, despite the handshaking and talking in thirdperson, I would even recommend my doctor for someone looking for a doctor. He's no midwife, but he's no douchebag either...

No comments:

Post a Comment